onsdag 28. september 2011

for the love of all music!!

When the realization of not doing anything or going anywhere for the summer of 2009 kicked in I realized that I had to make the most of the summer spent at home in Norway. Sure I was spending the summer working (as I always do) and the impending visit of my grandmother, who had never been to Norway before, was super exciting. But I wanted a different experience. So when I heard Neil young, nick cave, Duffy and keane were coming to the Norwegian wood music festival. I put my words into action.

Norwegian wood is an annual music festival held in the heart of Oslo every year for the past 20 years. Named after the Beatle song it attracts almost 8000 people (per day) a year.

Tickets for the event(s) aren’t the cheapest, the cheapest I’ve seen were 500 Norwegian kr, and that wasn't even for the more known acts performing during the concert. So I found a way for me to see the concerts for free, how? You might ask. well you see the Norwegian wood festivals is put together first and foremost but the students at Oslo university, and second as they try to spend as little money as possible on the workers and more bringing in the best acts ever, the employ volunteer labor, from all the teeny boppers, hipsters and cool kids in Oslo. And in return they get free passes, which is a great way of earning your ticket.

Now this summer I had the privilege of working 4 out of 5 days at Norwegian wood. For me it wasn’t just a return to the festival I’ve been volunteering and attending for the past three years, but also the chance to see some of the greatest acts EVER.




The roster for this year included the legendary Eric Clapton, Patti Smith, Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band and the always delightful Eagles. The experience of watching all those "old-times" was one of the greatest I’ve ever had in my life.

Watching Clapton play a 6 string, singing about his best friend’s girl and how he's slowly but steadily falling for her, is something I’m going to remember for the rest of my life. I mean when else am I ever going to see one of the yardbirds rock out about cocaine and him telling me that I look wonderful tonight: P


Eric Clapton has been playing guitar since the age of 15 and been performing since 1962. At the age of 66 he is still rocking out. One would have no idea that this ultimate legend is pushing 70, the way he played that six string.




The evening with Clapton (and 7999 others) was one of the most magical evenings I’ve ever had in my life. And it didn’t even cost me a dime: D

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar